Level of description:
The first parish church of St Paul was built in the Octagon in 1862-1863. This original church was built of Caversham stone and lasted only thirty years before rapid deterioration caused it to be condemned. In 1894, it was decided that the church should become a cathedral. William Harrop, a prominent Dunedin businessman, died in 1904 and left the bulk of his estate for the building of a new cathedral. However, these funds could only be accessed if the Chapter raised twenty thousand pounds themselves towards the cost of the building. The foundation stone of the new cathedral was eventually laid in 1915, and in 1919 the new St Paul's Cathedral was consecrated by Bishop Nevill.
In 1966 a fundraising appeal was launched, to raise money for the construction of a new chancel and organ, and the building of these was completed between 1969 and 1971.
Scope and contents:
The collection includes marriage, baptismal and service registers, records of the St Paul's Vestry and Chapter and a variety of other St Paul's groups and committees. Records of services, newsletters, publications, photographs and plans are also included.
People & organisations:
We welcome suggestions from the public on these keywords / tags. If you feel some are incorrect or missing please make suggestions here.