Get HSTS headerGet HSTS header Anglican Diocese of Dunedin | The Community Archive
Last updated: 30 October 2009

Anglican Diocese of Dunedin

Collection | Ref # ARC-0142 | Held by Hocken Collections - Uare Taoka o Hakena

What is it?

Title:

Anglican Diocese of Dunedin

Creator:

Anglican Diocese of Dunedin

Level of description:

Collection

Reference number:

ARC-0142

Description:

Prior to 1869, the Anglican Diocese of Dunedin (Otago and Southland) formed the southern part of the Diocese of Christchurch. At the General synod of the Church that met in Wellington in march 1859, a statute was passed making provision for the setting up of Rural Deanery boards. The Otago and Southland Rural Deanery Board of the Diocese of Christchurch first met in February 1860 to manage, under the presidency of Bishop Henry John Chitty Harper, the affairs of what was to become in 1869 the separate Diocese of Dunedin.

From 1869 to 1871 Bishop Harper continued to preside over the new Diocese, until Bishop Samuel Tarratt Nevill was installed. The prior nominee of the Archbishop of Canterbury, Henry Lascelles Jenner, was not accepted by the Diocese. This gave rise to the 'Jenner Controversy', which is recorded in the records of the collection. See 'Southern See' by J.H. Evans (1968) for a complete history of the diocese up to that point.

Scope and contents:

This collection contains the general administrative records of the Diocese of Dunedin and its predecessor. It includes some records of bishops, clergymen, Diocesan Synods, Standing Committee of Synod, Boards, Committtees and various other institutions and organisations in which the Anglican Diocese had an interest.

The inwards correspondence and other documentation from the Rural Deanery period and earlier are present in scanty and fragmented form only. The Boards outwards letter books appear to be no longer extant.

It includes some records for the several orphanages administered by the Anglican Diocese. Unfortunately only one of these has any inmate records. This is the Vauxhall Memorial Home for Boys, Register of Entry (1919-1934).

Dates covered:

Circa 1855 - 2007

Access conditions:

Partial restriction: Access to all nineteenth-century records is unrestricted. The publications and photographs series are unrestricted. Access to the Bishops/Diocesan Registers is unrestricted. Access to all other records is restricted and requires the written permission of the Anglican Bishop of Dunedin or the Registrar (Diocesan Centre, PO Box 13-170, Green Island, Dunedin 9052). The lantern slides are in cold storage and must be ordered 24 hours in advance to allow for acclimatisation.

Finding aids:

Listed on the 'Hakena' archives and manuscripts catalogue.

Tell us more

If you have additional information about this Collection please tell us about it by adding comments on the summary tab.

0 comments have been added so far.

Associated with:

Places:

Otago Region

Keywords:

Anglican Church · Missions

We welcome suggestions from the public on these keywords / tags. If you feel some are incorrect or missing please make suggestions here.

Login or register to tag items