Get HSTS headerGet HSTS header George Street Normal School | The Community Archive
Last updated: 10 September 2009

George Street Normal School

Collection | Ref # ARC-0047 | Held by Hocken Collections - Uare Taoka o Hakena

What is it?

Title:

George Street Normal School

Creator:

George Street Normal School

Level of description:

Collection

Extent:

110.86 linear metres

Reference number:

ARC-0047

Description:

Union Street Normal School began as the Green Door School in 1861, and in 1862 the Provincial Government built the North Dunedin School on the corner of Great King Street and Union Street. This school was later known as both the Stone School and the Old Stone School. In 1880 a new school was built behind the old school which was then demolished. The new building opened as Union Street School.

It appears that in 1909 the Otago Education Board moved the normal classes of the Normal School in Moray Place to the Union Street School which then became renamed the Union Street Normal School. The Normal School was renamed Moray Place School.

In 1934 Albany Street Associated Normal School was consolidated on Union Street Normal School. In 1949 Union Street Normal School was closed due to the dangerous state of the building and the majority of the children were transferred to George Street School. George Street School became George Street Normal School in 1950.

As well as the records of Union Street school this collection contains the records of Normal School, Albany Street School, and Leith Valley School. The Normal School opened in 1876 in Moray Place and was the first Normal School and Teachers Training College in New Zealand.

Albany Street opened on 17 August 1874 and was originally known as Fourth School due to it being the fourth public school to be opened in Dunedin. In 1875 it became known as Albany Street School and became Albany Street Associated Normal School in 1927. In 1933 the school ceased to exist and in 1934 standard four and five pupils moved to Dunedin North Intermediate and the majority of the rest went to Union Street Normal School.

Leith Valley School opened in 1884. In 1931 it closed at the end of the first term due to the river's action and pupils were transferred to George Street School.

George Street School itself was opened in April 1888 and in 1920 was made an Associated School where students from the Training College obtained practice in the art of teaching. It became known as George Street Normal School when Union Street Normal School was incorporated with it in 1950. An equal number of members of each School Committee (i.e. Union Street Normal and George Street) had to resign to form a new school.

Scope and contents:

This collection contains the records of the predecessor schools as well as those of George Street School itself. The records generally include Admission, Progress and Withdrawal Registers, Registers of Progress and Achievement, Examination Registers, Daily Attendance Registers, Records of Survey, School Committee records, Jubilee records, plans and photographs.

Dates covered:

1862 - 1980

Access conditions:

Partial restriction: Access to Records of Survey and Registers of Progress and Achievement require the written permission of the Principal.

Finding aids:

Listed on the 'Hakena' archives and manuscripts catalogue.

Tell us more

If you have additional information about this Collection please tell us about it by adding comments on the summary tab.

0 comments have been added so far.

Associated with:

Places:

Dunedin

Keywords:

Schools

We welcome suggestions from the public on these keywords / tags. If you feel some are incorrect or missing please make suggestions here.

Login or register to tag items