Level of description:
Former NRAM reference number:
The company was formed in 1903 by a Captain Moss, who had operated a similarly-named company with his father since 1887. The 1903 company was formed by Portobello and Port Chalmers residents to ensure a continued ferry service on the harbour. The company was wound up in 1931.
The records include company minutes; a dividend account book; shareholders' register, ledgers and journals which record the day-to-day activities of the ferries.
This series of ledgers and journals extend to 1963 and record the activities of the ferries until the end of the service in 1940s. It seems likely that the later entries relate to a subsequent business conducted by Percy Moss.
The collection was donated by the Perpetual Trustees Company Ltd in 1965.