Level of description:
Former NRAM reference number:
Father Antoine Marie Garin (1810-1889) was the Roman Catholic parish priest for the Nelson Province from 1850 and in October 1884 he became Archpriest of Nelson. He was deeply involved in education and established a boarding school in 1851 which was associated with St. Mary's Church. The Nelson Parish of the Roman Catholic church was huge and included most of the top of the South Island. It was later divided into Stoke (St Francis of Assisi Parish est. 1975), Richmond (Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish est. 1960) Motueka (St Peter Chanel Parish est. 1935) and Takaka (Sacred Heart Parish est. 1926) - according to the St Mary's Church archivist, Diana Clark.
For more information see: Lash, Max. Nelson Notables 1840-1940. Nelson: Nelson Historical Society, 1992, and DNZB.
The records are comprised of photocopies from the originals held at St. Mary’s Parish, Nelson. They include journals, account books and miscellaneous correspondence.
Format if not original: