Get HSTS headerGet HSTS header Kaikorai Presbyterian Church | The Community Archive
Last updated: 2 June 2009

Kaikorai Presbyterian Church

Collection | Ref # 19/10, 19/27, 89/42, 92/77, 92/85, 98/78 | Held by Presbyterian Church of Aotearoa New Zealand Archives

What is it?


Kaikorai Presbyterian Church


Kaikorai Presbyterian Church

Level of description:



1.8 m

Reference number:

19/10, 19/27, 89/42, 92/77, 92/85, 98/78

Former NRAM reference number:



Fortnightly services by Rev. Anderson at the Wakari schoolhouse began in 1865. In 1866 a church for the Kaikorai area was built on land donated by Miss Helen Hood. The charge was sanctioned by the Synod in 1868. The first minister was Rev. William Alves, from Scotland. Rev. Alexander Blake was the second minister, from 1872 until 1877. He had been a Free Church Missionary in Madras. Rev. Robert R. M. Sutherland was the minister for forty years, from 1879 until 1919. He was born in Caithness, Scotland. From 1893 unfermented wine replaced fermented wine for Communion Services. In 1906 a new church was built on the site of the old church. This was replaced again in 1966. From 1919 until 1925 Rev. William R. Hutchison was the minister. He was born in India, the son of a missionary. Services were held at Ashburn Hall in the 1930's. Boys' and Girls' Brigades were begun during the Ministry of Rev. A. R. Harper, from 1944 - 1954. In 1968 Kaikorai became a part of the West Dunedin Union Parish, along with Brockville, Halfway Bush and Wakari pastorates. In 1987 West Dunedin split into two parishes - Kaikorai Union (Kaikorai and Brockville) and Flagstaff Union (Wakari and Halfway Bush). In 1998 Kaikorai changed from a Presbyterian-Methodist Union Parish to a Presbyterian parish.

The collection includes:

Marriage Registers 1869-1931, 1947-58

Baptismal Register 1906-16

Baptismal Certificate Butts 1964-68

Communion Rolls 1879-1937, 1962-67

Communion Butts 1957-84

Session Minute Books 1868-1990

Session Papers, inc. loose minutes 1973-78

Annual Reports 1979-84

Newsletters 1966-86 (incomplete)

Deacons' Court Minute Books 1868-1969

Management Committee Minute Books 1969-90

Cash Books 1906-69

P. W. M. U. Minute Books 1897-1960

P. W. M. U. Cash Book 1908-60.

The collection also includes photographs.


Dates covered:

1868 - 1990

Access conditions:

Not restricted

Finding aids:

Inventory available

Tell us more

If you have additional information about this Collection please tell us about it by adding comments on the summary tab.

0 comments have been added so far.

Associated with:




We welcome suggestions from the public on these keywords / tags. If you feel some are incorrect or missing please make suggestions here.

Public tags:

Presbyterian · Church
Login or register to tag items