Rotorua Boys' High School was originally established as the Secondary Department of the Rotorua District High School in 1914.
Full high school status was gained in 1927. The School was re-opened in February that year as the Rotorua High School, also known as Rotorua High And Grammar School, and the Rotorua Junior High School. The Junior High School became the Intermediate Department of the Rotorua High School in 1933. In 1956, the Intermediate Department was closed and at the end of 1958 the Rotorua High School was divided into separate Boys' and Girls' High Schools.
Rotorua Boys' High School opened on the site of the former Rotorua High School in February, 1959.
The Rotorua Boys' High School Archives holds records and photographs dating back to 1911. It is not open to the public for research but enquiries are welcome.