Get HSTS headerGet HSTS header Otahuhu Cricket Association Annual Interclub Trophy 1932-1952 | The Community Archive
Last updated: 13 September 2013

Otahuhu Cricket Association Annual Interclub Trophy 1932-1952

Collection | Held by Otahuhu Historical Society

What is it?

Title:

Otahuhu Cricket Association Annual Interclub Trophy 1932-1952

Creator:

Otahuhu Cricket Association

Level of description:

Collection

Extent:

.410m

Description:

The sport of cricket flourished in Otahuhu in the latter part of the nineteenth century. A cricket club was formed at Otahuhu on the 7th of January 1863. The Otahuhu team became one of the longest lived local teams. During the early 1870s country cricket teams from Mangere, Otara or East Tamaki, and Otahuhu were active in the area.

On the 20th of October 1883 the Auckland Cricket Association was formed. The Otahuhu cricket club was one of the foundation members. The Otahuhu club was active for some years, but it appears that the game died out in the town in the early part of the twentieth century, only to be revived again in the 1920s. By 1927 the re-formed Otahuhu Cricket Club was active enough to field at least three teams.

According to a recent history of the area: "Despite the hard times, the people of Otahuhu formed a cricket club in 1931 ..." (A Passing Parade: A Reflection of 150 Years in Otahuhu, Otahuhu, ed. Grant Howard, 1998, p. 71). This is presumably a reference to the Otahuhu Cricket Association, which at one time linked as many as nine senior and four junior teams in the town.

The association was active at least into the mid-1930s. Teams at various stages included Railway, Relief Workers, Kempthorne [Prossers], St Josephs, Challenge, Borough [Council], Hellabys, Returned Soldiers, Passenger Transport, Abattoirs - later Mt Richmond, and Lee & Arlington.
Possibly the association wound up its affairs during World War II. In the Otahuhu Year Book 1948-1949 there is a reference to the Otahuhu Cricket Club as being a club of three years' standing.

It is interesting to note that this shield has the dates 1932 to 1952, this suggests that the club may have still been active up until 1952.

Dates covered:

1932 - 1952

Language:

English

Physical characteristics:

Shaped wooden shield with silver plaques attached. 410mm h x 340mm wx 20mm d

Access conditions:

No restrictions

Tell us more

If you have additional information about this Collection please tell us about it by adding comments on the summary tab.

0 comments have been added so far.

Associated with:

Places:

Otahuhu · Manukau · Auckland

Subjects:

We welcome suggestions from the public on these keywords / tags. If you feel some are incorrect or missing please make suggestions here.

Login or register to tag items