Last updated: 3 November 2010

Aparima School

Collection | Ref # A0125 | Held by Invercargill City Libraries and Archives

What is it?

Title:

Aparima School

Creator:

Aparima School

Level of description:

Collection

Extent:

2 Boxes

Reference number:

A0125

Description:

Series:

[S0020] Daily Attendance Registers, 1897 - 1970 (box 1)

[S0021] Progress and Achievement Registers, 1955 - 1970 (box 2)

[S0022] Annual Classification Returns, 1900 - 1954 (box 2)

[S0023] Admission, Progress and Withdrawal Register, 1897 - 1926 (box 2)

Dates covered:

1897 - 1970

Archival history:

School History 1897 - 1970. The school opened 13/01/1897 with a roll of 31. Families listed in notes were: Ayton 5, Carrick 2, Dickson 2, Flynn 3, Lightfoot 4, Leggit 4, Robson 4, Taylor 5, Watson 2, Affleck. First Teacher: Miss Jenny Saunders First Committee: T Coombs, W H Watson (Secy), and Messrs Ayton, James, Leggit, Lightfoot, Taylor. Aparima district was located half way between Wairio and Otautau. January 1897, The Education Board purchased two acres for one pound ($2.00) and built by Mr Guildford for $132.00. The school was one room with a very large fireplace which did not heat the room, so the students were sent out for a run to restore circulation in hands and feet. The school closed in August 1970 and was then amalgamated with Otautau School. Aparima School was the community centre for 46 years. Two years after closure, a local farmer bought the land and buildings, then removed the house and sold the grounds to a Sun Club. "Refections" 25 Years at Aparima College, the Silver Jubilee booklet which is well inllustrated with photos. "Reflections" content concerns Sport, Gym, Pet Days, Outdoor education, Fundraising and Social activities, 'C' Block Fire and the rebuilding programme and Names of Jubilee Registrations. Also notes about past pupils and staff. Items of note are found on: Page 2. Names and brief biographies of the Jubilee Committee Pp.4-5. 173-74 Committee of Riverton Form I - VII Hish School, held at the Riverton District High School on 23 August 1973. Committee members' names given. Page 6. New College opened in 1974 in Riverton District High School building, built in 1909. Page 7. School Timeline 1975 - 1997 Pp. 8-9. Staff Timeline.

Access conditions:

No restrictions.

Finding aids:

Box 1 - South 2 a ; Box 2 - South 3 a

Tell us more

If you have additional information about this Collection please tell us about it by adding comments on the summary tab.

0 comments have been added so far.

Associated with:

We welcome suggestions from the public on these keywords / tags. If you feel some are incorrect or missing please make suggestions here.

Login or register to tag items