Level of description:
In 1893 the Dunedin Technical Association acquired the lease of a property in Great King Street and established the Dunedin Technical School. By the beginning of the second term of 1894 classes included: Chemistry, Carpentry, Cookery, Domestic Economy, Wood Carving and Typewriting. In 1895 classes in Plumbing and Navigation were added and in 1896 Dressmaking. In July 1897 came an offer of the lease of a larger building - the Anderson and Morrison Brass Foundry in Moray Place and in March 1898 the second Technical School opened in this building. The school stayed in Moray Place until 1914.
In 1903 due to financial difficulties the evening classes ceased. The Technical School transferred its property and authority to the Otago Education Board and a new Board of Managers was established.
In 1910 it was suggested that a new school be built on Stuart Street. King Edward Technical College was officially opened in September 1914. In 1921 control of the School of Art was transferred from the Otago Education Board to the Technical Schools Board.
Up until 1950 the name King Edward Technical School was used to refer to the complete institution which consisted of a day school, the Dunedin Technical High School, the Dunedin School of Art, the Evening School and the Senior School of Commerce.
By 1955 the school was the largest in New Zealand with a day roll of over 1,300 and a total roll of 2,500 divided into some 260 classes.
By the end of 1964 it was decided to establish an Otago Polytechnic. This eventuated on February 1, 1966 when King Edward Technical College was divided into two separate and independent sections. The Otago Polytechnic and King Edward Technical College each had a principal and staff.
This split of the school did pose some problems because of the necessity to share buildings and facilities. Building a new school became inevitable, preferably on a site away from the city centre. In December 1970 the Government approved a site at Logan Park formerly occupied by the Pelichet Bay Rifle Range.
In 1972 the Board agreed that as from February 1973 the word 'Technical' was to be dropped from the school's name and that the new co-educational High School to be opened in 1974 was to be known as Logan Park High School.[Notes taken from "A New Site - An Old School", a written and pictorial history of the King Edward Technical and Logan Park High School].
Scope and contents:
This collection comprises 56 series of records. In total these cover almost the complete administrative history of the school and the full inventory should be consulted. Some of the key series are the Board of Managers Minutes which cover the period 1888 to 1964. There are also minutes relating to various sub committees. There are 262 registered subject files which cover a wide range of subjects relating to day to day administration of the school. There are student roll books for the earliest period of the school from 1889 to 1923 and for 1936 and 1937. There are also some records relating to Logan Park High School. Other student records can be found in the Logan Park High School collection of records.
There is an extensive collection of testimonials covering the period 1932 to 1964 and well as detailed individual pupil mark sheets for a similar period.
There are numerous photographs in this collection a large proportion of which are class and sports group photographs covering the period from the 1920s to the 1960s. The photographs from each year are mounted together on boards.
There are also a large number of musical scores in this collection by Vernon Griffiths, Victor Galway, Frank Callaway, John Ritchie and Hugo Anson.